For most of us, Halloween means hours of impulsive gorging on mediocre candy in the same ‘sexy janitor’ outfit as last year. We’re flipping the script on this year’s 31st with 13 tricks (see what we did there?) for keeping it low-carb and keto:
1. Preparation is key. Eat a big dinner before hitting the streets, and make sure your kids are well-fed too! If they’re full, they’re less likely to tempt you by munching on an insane amount of chocolate and sugary treats, not to mention they won’t keep you up all night so you won’t be hangry the next morning!
2. Stock up on Snax. Keep your own stash of cookies on you at all times! If you’re dressing up as a monster, it might as well be a cookie monster, right?
3. Two words: cookie pops! We’re talking Fat Snax cookie pops, but make it spooky. We can’t tell if these monster balls and eyeballs lean more toward cute or scary, but we know they’re guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
4. Host a pumpkin-potluck. Invite all of your keto-pals to your house and have everyone bring a dish! That way, the kids aren’t having all of the fun and you still get to chow down on some delicious grub 😋
5. Get Frosty! Whip up a batch of keto cream cheese frosting for some festive cookie decorating! Dressing up Fat Snax cookies as pumpkins, ghosts, or spiderwebs is guaranteed family fun.
6. Cut the candy. Be the parent in the neighborhood who gives out toothbrushes instead of candy, so you’re not tempted every time you walk by the candy bowl.
7. Sugar Free? OK, OK, we know that you don’t want to be known as the “lame parent” all year. 😂 Instead of buying sweets packed with sugar, stock up your house with things like Lily’s, Smart Sweets, Tom and Jenny’s, and Choc Zero. (The neighborhood parents will thank you.)
8. Butter it up. Nothing says Halloween like peanut butter cups, but instead of crushing a whole bag of Reese’s after the kids go to sleep, make these PB fat bombs instead. Bonus points if you eat them on top of your Peanut Butter Fat Snax! 😉
9. Need an outfit? It’s been said that you are what you eat, so why not grab your best pal and dress up as the ultimate keto duo—bacon and eggs! This one’s guaranteed to keep you in ketosis.
10. Craving a salty but festive snack? Toast pumpkin and squash seeds in coconut oil for a crunchy treat that's the perfect pairing with your post-trick-or-treating movie night!
11. Get jiggly! Pick up a few packs of sugar-free jello and whip up an incredibly easy treat that’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser. You can find some spooky cookie cutters at the dollar store, or if you’re feeling super adventurous, pick up a brain-shaped mold and make some zombie snacks!
12. Cheese for dessert...and every meal! Need an excuse to sneak a little bit of cheese into your Halloween festivities? Whip up this quick keto pumpkin cheesecake for a decadent dessert that pairs perfectly with this Fat Snax pie crust recipe.
13. Craft up some witches’ brew. To celebrate your triumphant keto-halloween, brew a batch of this keto-friendly color-changing drink. Eye of newt and wolfsbane are optional!
*P.S. Have a spooky and fun Halloween.